Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I got your back, Mayor Briggs


Editor's Note: Commedienne Pam Stone writes her column for The Tryon Daily Bulletin twice each month from her office in the "Unabomber Shack" on her Gowensville farm. Want a chance to respond to this column? Go to Pam’s blog at www.tryondailybulletin.com.

When I drove through downtown Landrum in 1987 and saw each store front boarded up, I thought, "Cool. Here's one place that isn't going to turn into Wal-Mart Land anytime soon."

I purchased my farm in 1993 and, having lived in Los Angeles for fifteen years and, before that, in what had been a lovely, pastoral, setting in Georgia which is now utter, urban blight, I embraced small town living and gave thanks every morning for such a heavenly, simple, and quiet place to live. It was important to me to buy a preexisting house. I didn't want to add to development by clearing more trees or littering a lovely hill.

Certainly I understand capitalism. And I understand growth. But I fling my arms around "slow-growth:" the methodical considerations of what best serves our community. I may be quite mistaken but I'm pretty confident that most of us that are either originally from here or have moved here are and were drawn to the Mayberry qualities of faded brick shop fronts, the Stars and Stripes proudly displayed over July 4th and Flag Day, safe, well-lit areas that kids can walk in the evenings with their friends and, blessedly, minimal traffic.

I'm not sure what developers have in mind when they press their point for enormous square footage. Personally, I have no problem driving the 25 miles to Spartanburg.

Hey, that's a big day out! Sometimes I even treat myself to a latte at Barnes and Nobel, and if I'm feeling particularly frisky, I hit TJ Max. I don't want a Home Depot or an endless row of fast food restaurants like those which grace the exit of Columbus. Darrell, at Landrum Hardware, has anything Paul or I need and, if he doesn't, he orders it for us. When I ordered all my kitchen appliances from Carruth Hardware, years ago, I was making that call from Los Angeles.

They don't take credit cards, so they delivered and set up my washer/dryer, dishwasher, fridge and trash compactor and told me I could pay them when I got to town three weeks later. They didn't know me from Adam. If I have ever had a problem, they arrive in, literally, minutes to make any repair. There are three terrific feed/tack shops, The Hare and Hound has superb pub-grub, The Green Onion takes care of my vegetarian diet and Chili Rojo has Dos Equis on draft in frozen mugs.

Now, what more could anyone possibly need.

Call me if you need me, Bob.

2 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam


Great "I got your back". You could have added "Chili Rojo has Dos Equis on draft in frozen mugs and there is Green Creek Winery with a tasting room, patio and picnic area just 7 miles from downtown".
Just so you know.
Alvin Pack
Green Creek Winery

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pam, for your trenchant comments on "development".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home