Thursday, June 29, 2006

An ad out of Southern Living it’s not


Editor's Note: Commedienne Pam Stone writes her column for The Tryon Daily Bulletin twice each month from her office in the "Unabomber Shack" on her Gowensville farm.

With little effort, one can wax poetic about the bucolic tranquility of our countryside. To see it between the ears of a horse, as an Arab proverb states, is the most beautiful sight to man. But all is not A.E. Houseman, Robert Frost and "My Friend Flicka," here in "Camperbeller."

To explain, I simply must tell you what I found in my bra. Well, obviously those. I am a woman, after all, at least that's what the lab tests concluded.

Unlike many who now call the Tryon area home, I knew what to expect when I moved back south after 15 years in California.

Being born and raised in north Georgia and having had horses all my life, I'm used to working and living in the country. Psst, it's not an ad out of "Southern Living:" sof
t-focused shots of women in crisp, linen suits, hair caught up in a clip, carrying a trug beneath one, slender, arm and nipping irises from a weed-free cutting garden with Smith and Hawken secaturs.

And neither is it the fantasy of potential horse owners: riding sleek-coated thoroughbreds that never stride out of their immaculate stable with a manure stain smeared across their cheek or rump. We gals that were brought up doing our own grooming and cleaning know the real scoop.

So this leads me back to the bra situation and what I learned:

When clipping a horse with the stable fans on, it is advisable not to smear one's arms, face and neck with sun-block beforehand.

As I disrobed to shower afterwards, I found that only a pressure washer would be successful at removing the 14,000 tiny horse hairs that had glued themselves to my entire body.
Now, Barney Bishop is a personal friend of mine, but I think it would be crossing that vague friend/business line to ask him to hose me down. Besides, he'd have to use an extension ladder and I just know he would charge an extra hundred for that. But I digress...

So, as you can see, it was rather surprising to find horse hair even inside my bra. But that's not the weird part. How half a grasshopper got in there, I will never know. Call it another unsolved mystery of the area, like, why does one sign read "Gowensville" as you enter our neighborhood and read "Gowansville" as you exit? And, no, I don't know where the other half is.

2 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I just love the sense of humor. BIG, HUGE (I know, no double adjectives but I must in this case) fan of Pam!!!! It's a shame that only the area of Tryon can enjoy her now. Please keep the column going so I can visit a friend that doesn't know me. (I wanted to say old friend, but 3 years doesn't make her that, however, I am a little younger so I guess it would have fit!)

It would be nice to use a HTML tag, but I have no idea what that is and I am afraid it will blow up my stubborn computer that hates me.

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why is the "Links of Tryon" located in Gowensville?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home