Thursday, November 08, 2007

God bless Mr. Linder


Editor's Note: Commedienne Pam Stone writes her column for The Tryon Daily Bulletin twice each month from her office in the "Unabomber Shack" on her Gowensville farm. Want a chance to respond to this column?
Go to Pam’s blog at www.tryondailybulletin.com.
Surely you know him. On a little road just off across from The Pizza Hut with a chain link fence and gate that politely informs you of business hours, Henry Linder is one of those Honest-to-Goodness rarities seldom seen these days: a shoe cobbler. If you think about it, a cobbler is as hard to find as a new shoe with an actual leather sole and heel. I suspect the rubber-bottomed ones aren't too good for business.
"That's true." he said. "But they don't last that long, either."
I first met Mr. Linder by following up on a recommendation by a fellow horseman when it came time to have my riding boots resoled. To my delight, not only could he replace soles, he could also (cue the angelic chorus) replace zippers! You have no idea what that means to a dressage rider. The zippers are generally on the inside of the boot, against the horse and are zipped and unzipped, depending on the number of horses ridden, as many as ten times a day. The factory in Holland where my boots originated are happy to replace them, for about the price of a Kia.
"I believe I can do that" Mr. Linder mused, looking them over. "Would fifty dollars be too much?" Seeing that was one-third of the price I had been quoted elsewhere, it would do nicely, thank you. Mr. Linder scribbled down my name and number and asked, as it was Saturday, if it would be acceptable if the boots were ready by next week. Are you kidding? Yes!
I love his shop. You can tell everyone who rides worships at the alter that is Linder Shoe Service. Along a shelf near the door usually sits four or five pairs of hunt boots like slightly slouching soldiers, shined, buffed, repaired, waiting to be claimed. On the rack behind the counter sits an amazing array of repaired shoes: pumps, brogues, evening slippers... Cast your eye around and you will see, awaiting your perusal, buckles, shoe polish and heel protectors, made by "Cat." The funny black cat logo immediately engulfs me with nostalgia.
As a town, we are simply blessed to have a man dedicated to a lost craft. I don't think Mr. Linder will mind me sharing that he recently turned 88 years of age and he is still working because he was simply too busy to retire and missed his customers. Each time I see him he gently smiles over the top of his glasses and asks about my mother and Paul's nursery. We chat about the weather, the war and my boots.
"Yes," he says again, "If that's all right with you, I can have them ready by next week."
Four hours later a message is left on my answering machine.
"Miss Stone? This is Henry. Your boots are ready. I reckoned you'd need them with all those horses you ride."
God Bless you, Mr. Linder.

2 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam, Linder is part of my family! He tried to quit several years ago, but his customers would not let him . . . Aunt Mildred was utterly dismayed that she would not be able to keep shoes she had worn for 20 years (or more!) serviceable when he quit! Now you have probably brought him more clients . . . Bless you! Garland Goodwin

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great article! Mr. Linder has been taking care of my boots and shoes for over 15 years. I don't know what I will do when he is no longer able to work on them. He takes such pride in his work. My grandmother brings her shoes from Winston-Salem to have him fix them. We are lucky to have him in our community.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home