Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hooligans!


Editor's Note: Commedienne Pam Stone writes her column for The Tryon Daily Bulletin twice each month from her office in the "Unabomber Shack" on her Gowensville farm. Want a chance to respond to this column? Go to Pam’s blog at www.tryondailybulletin.com.
I caught myself the other day, after seeing a couple of battered mailboxes lying in the street, uttering the word that plants me firmly in what I call the "old fa**" phase of my life:
"Hooligans!"
The horror of it all. And if that's not bad enough, as I was hacking my young horse down the shoulder of my normally quiet country lane, I yelled at an approaching speeding, truck, "Hey! SLOW DOWN! There's kids on this road, pal!"
It's just a matter of time before I'm standing, shotgun loaded, in the middle of my property yelling at passersby to "Get the hell off my land!"
What's happening and how did it sneak up on me? To quote Albert Brooks from the film, Lost in America: " I used to be hip, honest!" Really. Not that many years ago, I could have told you every band that played on every alternative station in the country. My buddies and I eschewed anything that smacked of "trend" and frequented only the most secretive clubs. Our normal hang out was "The Central," in Los Angeles: a dingy, hazy, bar one reached by descending a narrow, dank, stairwell which we had to abandon in disgust after learning it had been bought by Johnny Depp, renamed "The Viper Room" and gained notoriety as being the celebrity hangout where River Phoenix overdosed in the parking lot on a lethal combination of drugs.
Breakfast was occasionally taken weekdays (never weekends, too many tourists) at Duke's on Sunset, elbowing in at a back table, sharing a ketchup bottle with the likes of Tom Waites or the hung over drummer from the Ramones. No one spoke. No one hit up anyone for autographs... there seemed to be a mutually respected, shared, bond of conduct.
So, what happened? I certainly didn't have kids, thus there has been no moral obligation to set a "good example," and I certainly haven't left my progressive sense of politics. It is possible, however, that I am simply weary of man's continual unkindness towards his fellow man. Whether it be the unfathomable cruelty behind the bombings in Iraq, the misery that is Darfur, the greed behind sub prime lenders, or the blatant disregard for the health of children and pets in exchange for our frenzied pursuit of "Everyday Low Prices," I've just had it. I'm tired of mindless violence, even if it's by a couple of bored sixteen year olds cruising back country roads at night looking for a bit of mischief. I certainly egged a house of two in my early teens. I wasn't even angry at the family: I simply joined in with the other kids because it was dark, our parents were out, and the sense of danger was intoxicating.
I just want things to slow down. I want people to be kind and respect each other's opinions. I want people to stop throwing their cigarette butts out of the car window. I used to say I wanted things to be the way they were back in the "good old days" of the 1940s and 50s until a friend of mine pointed out that during those "good old days" he was prohibited from being served at a lunch counter. So, now, to confound things, I'm realizing that there never really have been any "good old days" for every group of people.
Oh, well. If I retained one thing from my three years of college it's this: "For every action there is a reaction." There's not a reason in the world I can't walk up to the house with the battered mailbox and enquire if they'd like help in repairing it.
Hooligans.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Lance Smith said...

Hey Pam,
I read your Hooligans blog in friday's edition of the tdb. I have expereinced exactly what you are feeling. My wife and I run a farm/camp day program in July here in Polk county. We have gardens and animals primarily for children ages 4-11yrs to learn the concept of community in an environmental setting. Last year about this time I had my farm attacked by four large dogs, I lost four 100 pound pigs, seven goats the family turkey and twenty pounds of sweat digging a hole to bury them.Because people let their dogs run un attended. I never felt even anger for the dogs, but hada mouth full of contempt for the ignorence of their owners. The next day a neighbor in the county was killed by a person with a huge history of driving while under the influence who was alleged to be under the influence at the time. My neighbor left a family that desparately needed a father. I was on fire with a vengence against stupidity and how seemly little things can totally wreck the lives of others. First some members of my church got together and replaced all my livestock. It was through them that I truely learned the meaning of Community. I then became totally involved in the 2007 CROP Walk against Hunger held last November and it was there I realized that the only defense against,ignorence, greed
and indiffernce is to do something anything to make the next guys load a little lighter. Just a kind word at the right time could change events that could be disasterous. Thank you for your article, I hope and pray that everyone that sees it gets your message. Perhaps the understanding that the world is based on giving will someday be forefront in enough people's mind to stand our culture on its ear and things may begin to straighten up!
Keep the faith!
Keep sharing the truth
Peace
Lance Smith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home